Posted on 28 October 2020
Fast House Clearance
Are you intentionally postponing a house clearance just because you are dreading it? Do you feel that it will take you days and days just to sort your items out? Well, most house clearance experiences are tough and disorganized, but that is up to you whether yours will be like that as well. If you plan it well, there is no reason for you not to cope in a timely manner. Doing a quick house clearance for a sale, letting or an annual one is possible and here are some tips which will help you do that.
1. Take a few days off from work, if the weekend won’t be enough. After all, it’s for a good cause. The house clearance is a big undertaking that you only do once every few years. If you need to prepare a house for letting or a sale, it needs to be done right in order to attract tenants or potential buyers.
2. You can’t afford to hire professionals for the clearance? Don’t despair – millions of people do house clearance on their own. You will need time, help, a solid plan and equipment.
3. Start by making a list of what needs to be removed from your house, basement, attic, garage and garden. Use stickers in different colours to label things that need to be thrown away, things that can be recycled, things that can be donated or sold. This makes the process of sorting out your belongings much quicker.
4. If you have to move old upholstery or furniture, that have been sitting in the same place for ages, open the windows wide as the room will be quite dusty. Get some help and always use a dolly. Try not to lift or tilt furniture directly on your back and be careful with stairs.
5. A good rule to follow is to have two people clearing out per room, not more. This way it will be easier for everybody to move around, but not stand on each other’s way.
6. Sort out the things for throwing away in different bags, according to their material.
7. Make sure you clean well after you remove the items. A house clearance is not just clearing out old stuff – you need a thorough treatment of the areas that have been covered in dust, mold or mildew for years.
8. If you can’t drive the items you want to throw to the local tip, you will need to hire a truck for waste carry. Keep in mind that it can take weeks to organize that, so call them at least 2 weeks before the clearance.
9. All the old paperwork that you want to throw away should be destroyed (burnt or shredded); otherwise you are risking identity theft.
10. Talk to a charity shop and discuss which of your items they can take. The items need to be in decent condition of course.
11. Organize the recycling about a week before the house clearance day.
12. The easiest and quickest way to sell some old items is to do a garage sale or drive them to a local boot sale. You’d be surprised at how much junk some people would love to buy.
These are only some basic suggestions which will assist you in your upcoming house clearance. Remember that this task needs to be done at least once every 5-6 years. De-cluttering your home will make living there much more pleasurable.